Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Reading Material Witness

I'm reading Material Witness (A Shipshewana Amish Mystery) by Vannetta Chapman.  You can imagine my surprise when my Amish Christmas book begins with a murder.  It sure didn't seem like much of a happy Christmas book.  Well that's because it's not.  I seem to be batting a 1,000 these days with interesting, less traditional Amish books.  Well, less traditional when they have violence in them.  I'm 21% into the book, someone is dead and there's an investigation into who did it.

Well...  It looks like I'm reading book three.  This would be the third time I've read the third book first.  Given that I've been left to guess or be shocked by a couple things like an Amish person not acting like an Amish person only to learn they aren't Amish, I think I will go back and read the other two books.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennifer. I do hope you enjoy Callie's story. Yes, MW is book 3 but it can be read first. No worries! And I hope you'll read enough to see there are plenty of real "authentic" Amish ... though Callie isn't one of them. Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me I'm loving it! Personally I like, as I call it, the nontraditional side of the book. I read a lot of Amish books and the boy meets girl story gets old. There can be a lot of mush and little conflict (aka life). I'm currently reading Falling To Pieces and so far I love it. Callie just had to give up on giving Mr Stakehorn a piece of her mind.

      I stayed up late reading Material Witness and kept falling asleep while Callie was walking into her garden. I'm guessing her and Max were not alone, but I'm going to wait to read it which is soooooo hard to do.

      BTW, I read a NetGalley review once from someone who only read book three. They gave an awful rating and review because they were lost in the book. I vowed to never do that. I always try to read all the other books in the series if I know it's not the first; thankfully the first time it happened I had already read the first two books so I only had to read two more to review book five. =)

      Delete