Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Simple Autumn

I just finished A Simple Autumn by Rosalind Lauer and must admit I was very intrigued.  It's the first Amish book I've read where the main character is a guy.  The goals are always the same because the Amish life is the same whether a guy or girl tells the story; kids go to school till the 8th grade then start preparing to one day marry and have their own home.

In this book we follow the King family that range from a preschooler to adults who were all orphaned two years earlier after their parents were murdered.  They have a sister out living with the English and an older brother who came back once his parents were killed.  His English girlfriend has decided to live the Amish life, get baptised and to marry him.

Most of the book is written about Jonah.  He's a middle child in love with a girl, Annie, who is in love with his older and engaged brother.  He wants to tell her his feelings, but holds back.  Meanwhile Annie's sister and her family family moves to New York.  Because there isn't a prospective husband in sight Annie debates joined her sister's family.

A couple quotes I highlighted in the book are:

"...he's able to see the good in everyone.  That's the blessing of love."

""Judgement is a chore for the Heavenly Father to take care of, " Dave was saying.  "It's not our task to look at our neighbor, our brother or sister, and judge them.  Isn't that a wonderful thing?  One less chore on my list for the day.""

My only disappointment with this book was at the end I learned I was reading book #3 in a series.  Ugh!  I don't like reading books out of order, but on a positive note to the author, I couldn't tell I was reading book #3.  I didn't feel lost while reading.

This is a book review for Net Galley.

No comments:

Post a Comment