Saturday, January 5, 2013

Beyond The Valley

Exercise can't wait until Christmas vacation is over so yesterday I took my daughter to the gym with me.  I needed a good reason to dive into Beyond The Valley.  I actually started it the evening before, BUT IT WAS GOOD AND NEEDED FINISHING!!!!  Wow!!!  Just in the time hubby was in the shower two people died in unrelated incidences and he doesn't take long showers.  How could I go to bed after that?!!!!!!  Well I did and it was agony!

Have you ever had a professor who spends so much time telling you things you MUST take notes on that you have a hard time keeping up?  My human anatomy professor was that way.  I took notes feverishly and recorded the class so I could go back and write down everything I missed.  Beyond the Valley by Rita Gerlach is like that.  SO MUCH HAPPENS in such a short amount of time.  I remember breathing a little when the main character, Sara Carr, had a simi free time in her life.  Of course the book decided to skip two years at the "calm" point so we were off to the races once again.

We meet Sara Carr as she goes out looking for her husband.  There was a shipwreck that sent many men down to the shore hoping for some good loot to wash ashore.  Unfortunately for the pregnant Sara, her husband drowned in the mayhem.  Being poor she found herself at her sister-in-law's house and unwanted.  She ends up tricked into slavery and her world really turns upside-down.  I guess it was really never right side up seeing how she was abandoned at an orphanage as a baby and never adopted.

Once kidnapped into slavery it looks like Sara will never get a break.  At one point a man falls in love with her, but her masters won't sell her to him.  She does eventually get sold then kidnapped again.  She escapes her kidnappers and then we get to take a breath (inhale-exhale).  Don't worry the ride isn't over it's only about half done.

Beyond The Valley is a roller coaster that is WELL WORTH the read.  This is actually book 3 in the Daughters Of Potomac series; it said it could be read alone so I decided to put it to the test and it's true.

This book was reviewed for NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment