Friday, November 16, 2012

To Whisper Her Name

Last month I read To Whisper Her Name by Tamera Alexander.

I almost put the book down in the first couple pages.  I was done.  Really.  But given that the main reason I'm reading the book is to review it I figured I should suck it up and give it a try.  And guess what???  I'm glad I did.

The book begins with First Lieutenant Ridley Cooper searching for some thoroughbred horses from Bell Mead that are being hidden for their owner, General Harding, by a slave.  The civil war; this was a book closer for me.  Pressing on.  Cooper finds the horses after following his instincts on where he would hide them if the roles were reversed.  He knows zero about horses so he becomes mesmerized by how well the slave, Mr Green, can handle them.  Cooper can't bring himself to take the horses away.  He lets Green go, but he himself doesn't make it far before he's captured.

Now fast forward three years.  The war is over and the book is getting interesting.  We have Olivia, a new widow of a traitor, who is moving to Bell Mead to work for her friend that she loves like a mother.  Who might the carriage pass on the road, but Cooper.  He was on his way to Bell Mead himself.  He was hoping to learn all he could from Green about working with horses.  Now that the war is over he wants to go off to Colorado and start life over.  From here on out the book takes a lot of twist and turns.  You have a guy from the south who fought for the north working for a southern general; of course he must keep it a secret.  We have a socialite becoming an outcast.  Cooper really encourages her to find what she was born to do and she does.  What does she do?  Read the book.  It's good!  Yes, I, the person who wanted to put the book down in the beginning found myself glued to my Kindle until I finished the book.

One of my favorite quotes was...

God never leans over the balcony of heaven and gasps.
 
That's awesome right?!  In case you don't get it, it means nothing surprises God.
 
This review was done for Net Galley.



No comments:

Post a Comment