Wednesday, September 23, 2015

An Amish Christmas Gift

An Amish Christmas Gift leaves me wanting more, yet happy with the little glimpses into other series. Amy Clipston's story takes us back to rub elbows with the characters in the Kauffman Amish Bakery Series and Kelly Irvin takes us back to The Amish of Bee County. After having invested time into the characters lives by reading the other books, it was exciting to go back and get another glimpse of the stories. I've never read a novel by Ruth Reid, but I enjoyed her novella here. I found myself identifying with Abigail perhaps a bit more than I care to admit. Abigail teaches us to show kindness to everyone and think before you speak.

The novellas feel like they ended short especially Kelly Irvin's. I wish her story had been made into a novel with more details of how the situation played out. Also, I was surprised to find that characters I loved in the original series, that played only small roles in this book, weren't as likable. Eventually one of the characters in A Christmas Visitor won me over by showing the same kindness as in The Beekeeper's Son.

*This book was given to me by NetGalley for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment